Location(s): Ottawa/ Kitchener
Employment Type: Full-time, Permanent
Employee Referral Bonus: Eligible
Requisition #: 8-104
BluMetric Environmental Inc. is searching for an enthusiastic permanent, full-time candidate to fill an Intermediate Geomatics Specialist position for our Ottawa or Kitchener office to complement our existing staff across Canada. This position reports directly to the Geomatics Manager of BluMetric.
The successful candidate will be confident in performing skilled technical, administrative, cartographic, and drafting work of a complex nature under supervision of the Geomatics Manager. The job involves cartographic and visual design of GIS products for technical reports such as Environmental Site Assessments, Industrial Hygiene and Engineering designs. The position has occasional pressures of high workload volume related to meeting production deadlines and is eligible for paid overtime. Work assignments require a very high degree of visual concentration and attention to detail. Occasional travel throughout Ontario and Québec may be necessary based on the business need.
• Create and maintain a wide variety of GIS/CAD data in proper formats and projections.
• Perform quality assurance checks on contractor supplied and internally generated GIS data.
• Follow cartographic and drafting standards and perform quality assurance checks.
• Perform field surveys using RTK GPS equipment, Remotely Piloted Aircrafts (RPA) or LiDAR equipment.
• Provide data analysis and mapping products on short notice to all levels of internal and external organizations.
• Performs related duties as required.
Qualifications, Education, and Skills:
• Completed Post-Secondary studies in Geomatics or closely related discipline with an emphasis on Geomatics and/or Geography.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience utilizing ESRI ArcMap to generate maps, perform imagery and spatial analysis, digitize features, create and maintain geodatabases, georeference rasters, convert existing vector data to spatially referenced data. (e.g., AutoCAD to ESRI conversion)
• Minimum of 5 years of experience utilizing Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) experience such as AutoCAD Civil 3D.
• Thorough knowledge of cartographic standards, principles, techniques, projections, and transformations.
• Thorough knowledge of GIS analysis and geoprocessing techniques to perform spatial analysis and manipulate data.
• Working knowledge of current GIS software and related database systems and standard office software systems. (MySQL, Access MDB, and Excel)
• Knowledge of basic environmental science, geological and engineering principles.
• Have a valid Ontario G driver’s license.
• Attention to detail, errors may be difficult to identify and could cause major data or productivity loss. Ability to check one’s own work.
• Ability to prioritize tasks from multiple project managers and manage one’s own time.
• Ability to clearly communicate project progress, predicted timelines, and challenges, to both the geomatics manager and project managers.
• Ability to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing and work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
• Ability to deal with courtesy, tact, diplomacy, and persuasion when dealing with fellow staff members and outside agencies.
• Ability to organize data according to specifications and document methodology and workflows effectively for a multi-user environment.
• Ability to complete tasks autonomously and with strong problem-solving skills.
• Knowledge and experience with GPS, Total Station or Rod-and-Level surveying would be an asset.
• Knowledge and experience with remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) operations and deliverables is an asset.
• Knowledge on photogrammetry for orthophoto generation and topographic data extraction is an asset.
• Knowledge of specific software (eg. Global Mapper, Pix4D, Cartovista, PCI Geomatica) would be an asset.
• Skills in LIDAR manipulation is considered an asset.
• Knowledge of public sources of geomatics data throughout Canada is considered an asset.
• Proficiency in French (written and verbal) is a strong asset.
To Apply: Please email your resume and include ” Geomatics Specialist – Intermediate # 8-104 ” in the Subject Line.
Apply With Resume